Sunday, September 6, 2009

my first blog as mom...

i admit that i've snubbed those women who, once they've had kids, become out-of-touch with the "real world." as soon as they become pregnant, it seems they morph into "momma" as their sole persona, shedding the identities they had pre-conception. i may not have shunned them directly (or i may have without realizing it) but indirectly in my perspective of them... i always told myself i would "never end up like them!" i would "make it work," as i imagined myself driving to places with baby in infant carseat, pushing stroller through mall, park, etc., never losing step with my social circles. shiz, i even made tentative plans to fly to hawaii with my baby a week after my due date while i was still pregnant. even my childless male friends criticized my flawed thinking. it wasn't until my sis pointed out that the elevation might cause the babe an earache during the flight that i began to admit it wasn't my best idea. 

but i can admit it now. your whole entire life and identity does change once you've had a baby. and daily tasks like going to the grocery store become arduous events requiring lots of preparation, discouraging new parents from wanting to leave the house. who has time to brush their own teeth and get out of jammies when life is dictated by this 8 lb being, 24 hours a day? and let's not even get started on if you're nursing! bad as it sounds, one of the highlights of my day is making a point to feed and change the baby and then run off for an hour, anywhere, to enjoy the temporary freedom of empty arms and mouthless boobs. i've never been more excited about filling up the car's gas tank! and my reward ends up being some frothy or icy beverage, be it a decaf mocha, sonic icee, or tapioca express snow bubble. judge me if you will but it's a reminder that i am more than just a mom now and i should take care of my own needs ands wants, if only for a few minutes out of the day. 

so it was with much hesitation, once i had the thought of starting a blog, that i succumbed to creating this online journal around the theme of motherhood. because it IS an important and THE primary role i have now. i still consider myself more than just mom: wife, sister, daughter, aunt, friend, co-worker, educator, entrepreneur... but even though "ellaroo" can't mutter the word just yet, i am first and foremost "momma" now and so i am utilizing this forum as a tool to document no only her journey into this world but my own. thanks for taking the time to join me in this wild ride... 

No comments:

Post a Comment